A significant number of Australians are required to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time due to their work requirements.
Regardless of your posture or position throughout the day, any sustained position can contribute to common musculoskeletal complaints including neck pain and back pain, muscle strain, stiffness, and headaches.
It is ideal not to remain in the same position for more than 20 minutes at a time. It is important to take regular micro-breaks and change position to take the pressure off muscles and ligaments. Changing position will help reduce pain, stiffness and keep your body functioning at its best.
At the CQUniversity Chiropractic Clinic, the team can assess your work requirements and provide you with simple recommendations to incorporate into your workday to reduce the effect of postural stress.
The free Straighten up App from the Australian Chiropractors Association also has many simple, yet effective features, which can assist you to improve your posture and spinal health throughout the day.
- Reminders: Set reminders to take regular breaks, monitor your posture, stretching, and drinking water.
- Exercises: A three-minute spinal health program to improve spinal health and enhance your health.
- Augmented Reality: Showing less efficient and more efficient postures in different settings.
- Available for android and IOS operating systems
- Access from: https://chiropractors.asn.au/straighten-up-app
CQUniversity has chiropractic clinics open to the public in Brisbane, Sydney and Mackay. For more information visit: www.cqu.edu.au/healthclinic .
*Infographic source: Canadian Chiropractic Association