International student? Have you had a health check recently?

As an international student, we understand there are many things to consider when studying and living in Australia. These include your personal health and wellbeing. We encourage all our international students to undertake regular health checks.

As you are probably aware, it is a condition of your student visa that you maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies. This allows you access to the health service and public hospitals in Australia, which includes cover for:

  • standard consultation fee with a General Practitioner
  • standard costs for a stay in a shared ward of a public hospital
  • emergency ambulance cover; and
  • most prescription drugs.

How to arrange an appointment

To arrange a health check, please call to make an appointment with a local medical centre. Check the yellow pages directory under Doctors, or Medical Practitioners to find a doctor or clinic.

Emergency care

If you ever require emergency medical care, go to the Emergency section at the nearest hospital, which are usually open 24 hours.

A full list of all public and private hospitals in Australia is available at MyHospitals.

If the situation is life threatening, call an ambulance immediately. The emergency number for Ambulance, Police, and Fire services is 000.

Should you ever feel unwell, or require medical attention, please don’t hesitate to seek advice from a qualified health professional during your stay in Australia.

Mae Swarbrick (

Mae Swarbrick is a current student, studying part-time in the Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Arts, and working full-time as Student Communications Officer. Mae's ongoing experience as a current student is invaluable in her role as leader of the Student Communications team. Combine this with practical experience in the call centre, Admissions and Student Communications teams, and she’s ready to share some first-rate uni hacks for new students. Follow Mae on #How2Uni.

Leave a Reply